How to use Roku TV and RealPlayer Cloud to stream movies and video to your TV from your PC, smartphone or tablet.

roku_tv_realplayer_cloud_how_toSo you’ve got yourself a Roku box and you love it. Suddenly you can use your TV in new ways to do new things, from playing games to watching Netflix. However, there is one thing that everyone seems to want to do but few can figure out: how to stream video, movies and TV shows from your PC or any device on your local network to your Roku.

Luckily our free RealPlayer Cloud app makes it very easy to do this – and more! Read on to find out how to stream video to Roku in a few simple steps:

Step 1: Install RealPlayer Cloud on your PC or mobile device.

You can get RealPlayer Cloud for PC by going here (automatic download). Or you can get the RealPlayer Cloud app from the iOS App store or Google Play store. Once installed, create a free RealPlayer Cloud account, it only takes a moment, and we give you 2GB storage too!

Step 2: Add the RealPlayer Cloud channel to your Roku.

roku_install_rpc_small

Go to the Roku Channel Store and find RealPlayer Cloud under the ‘Photos & Video’ section – select ‘Add channel’. Once that’s done, launch it.

Step 3: Link your RealPlayer Cloud account to your Roku

You will be asked if you already have a RealPlayer Cloud account. Select ‘Yes, Sign In’.

Now navigate to https://cloud.real.com/roku. Sign in with your account details and enter the code that is displayed on your TV. The Roku will automatically go to the next screen when the correct code has been entered.

code_roku

Congratulations! You have now linked your Roku to your RealPlayer Cloud account. Let the streaming begin. Click ‘Start’.

Step 4: Select the device that you want to stream from

select_device

Any computer or device on your home network that has RealPlayer Cloud open and signed in to your account will appear on the screen. Select the one that you want and browse the videos stored there. Select the video you want to watch and it will start playing.

Note: you don’t have to upload your videos to the cloud first to stream them to your TV. This is because you are sending them directly across your network. That means you don’t have to use any of your free cloud storage space to watch the videos.

Step 5: Enjoy your videos!

Watch that video that you recorded earlier with your smartphone on your TV – or even watch a movie that is saved on your PC upstairs. Just stream to your Roku using RealPlayer Cloud!

You can also play videos that you have uploaded into your RealPlayer Cloud account or that have been shared with you by family and friends.

If you encounter any problems or have any questions, just leave a comment below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Check back for our next how-to post on using RealPlayer Cloud with Chromecast.

{ 32 comments… add one }

• green March 19, 2014, 2:42 pm

I want ,need you!!

• Alastair April 9, 2014, 5:24 pm

I have a Sky NOW TV Roku box and the RealPlayer channel doesn’t appear in the Roku store. Any ideas how I can get it?

• UK Editor April 10, 2014, 10:58 am

Unfortunately the NOWTV Roku box has a locked down ecosystem. You will need a Roku that is supported. RealPlayer Cloud will work with Roku Streaming Stick 2014 (3500R), Roku LT (2400, 2500, 2700), Roku HD (2500), Roku 1 (2710), Roku 2 (2720), Roku 2 HD (3000, Roku 2XD (3050), Roku 2XS (3100) and Roku 3 (4200).

• R June 25, 2014, 4:37 pm

My devices won’t sync it says there synced but doesn’t show up like the picture

• fouadrahi July 27, 2014, 7:38 pm

• greg July 30, 2014, 4:34 am

So if im streaming on my tablet with real cloud open, it will show the movie on the tv?

• CB August 9, 2014, 6:23 am

I have a Roku XD and I don’t see Realplayer listed in Photos & Video.

• Dymphna August 20, 2014, 2:04 am

I have a movie with an associated srt file. How do I get the subtitles showing when I use roku to show the movie?

Thank you.

• UK Editor September 5, 2014, 3:53 pm

Unfortunately you can not add the .srt file to your RealPlayer Cloud on your Roku at this time.

• rey restrepo September 7, 2014, 4:44 pm

Everything works as promised; PC to Roku, but I have to upload to the cloud before watching the video on Roku. How is it that you watch without uploading? Please provide link or instructions. Detailed instructions, I am new to this.

By the way, the link below previously provided, does not work.

Thanks,
    Rey

• Chris September 22, 2014, 5:01 am

I got everything set up correctly, but when I go to play a movie from my PC, the Roku app says I need to upload to the Cloud first. Please advise. Thanks.

• Jim Gasko September 24, 2014, 2:44 am

When I try to play a video stored on my pc on the roku connected to my tv, it keeps telling me that I need to upload the video to play it. This goes against what is stated up above. What do I need to do to get my videos to play?

• UK Editor September 29, 2014, 1:27 pm

Hi Jim,

It could be that your video is not in a format supported by Roku. RealPlayer Cloud will automatically convert your files into the correct format for the device you are viewing on, however in order to do this the video needs to be uploaded into the Cloud, where our SurePlay conversion technology works its magic.

Hope that helps.

• Cheryl October 8, 2014, 5:09 pm

Hi I have the real player installed and have it on my roku but can’t figure out how to put my purchased movies from google play on it??

• UK Editor October 10, 2014, 3:33 pm

Hi Cheryl, in order to stream your videos to Roku, you need to have a copy of the actual video file. I believe that Google Play movies can only be accessed from inside their app, which is why this won’t work.

Hope that helps.

• Sergio October 15, 2014, 8:23 pm

Hello,

Everything went smooth and I can play all the videos hosted in my HTPC. However I am not able to play any subtitle even though they are embedded in the video (they are NOT .srt).

I can play these same videos and activate/deactivate the subtitles in my Apple TV with no issues at all, so I was wondering if this can be done in the Roku with RealPlayer Cloud as well.

Thank you for your time and support!

• UK Editor October 30, 2014, 5:23 pm

Hello Sergio, currently the RealPlayer app doesn’t support subtitles. So unfortunately you won’t be able to play them at this time.
      Please let us know if you have additional questions.

• Chris October 28, 2014, 5:53 am

I set it up earlier today and it worked great. I was even able to watch old home videos that I had forgotten were on my computer.

But when I went back to use it later in the day, I couldn’t find the “pc” box ANYWHERE on my Roku 1. I reinstalled the realplayer server, restarted my modem, and restarted my computer and roku1. But still, it won’t show back up. It’s VERY strange because, like I said, I had used it just earlier today and it worked fine. Nothing else was changed, except for I uninstalled one of my anti-virus softwares.

• UK Editor October 30, 2014, 5:23 pm

Hello Chris, Roku allows device sharing with the devices that are connected to the same wireless network. Please check that your computer is switched on, with RealPlayer Cloud open and that it is connected to the same wireless network as Roku. After that, you should be able to see the PC box.
      If you have any other question, please contact us at: https://realnetworks.zendesk.com/home

• Steve November 26, 2014, 4:20 pm

I’ve been streaming from my PC to my TV for some time now but started to have problems with interruptions using a different “channel”. I decided to try RealPlayer Cloud and what a difference this has made. Fast, clear and no interruptions.
    My only problem is the interface at the Roku end. This seems to display my PC content in confused ways making it very difficult to navigate.
    Can somebody pleased tell me how to sort this out as its driving me mad.

• Steve November 27, 2014, 9:48 am

Further to my question yesterday I have been experimenting further.
      It seems that the Roku LT doesn’t refresh the list of media items it has seen on the computer and erase those which are no longer available.
      Strangely, it extracts some series from a folder and not others and this is one reason why it displays files in a strange order.
      The biggest problem is that if you now try to select anything which is no longer available, it crashes and loses contact with the PC. It is them necessary to close and reopen Real Player on the PC to regain contact.
      I’m reluctant to subscribe to Cloud whilst these problems remain.

• shawn December 14, 2014, 8:42 pm

I have set up my roku.com box,chosen something to watch and only the sound is coming through on all the channels but no picture. Can you help?

• mel February 16, 2015, 10:56 pm

I have roku 3 you just have to put fireFox on roku along with chromecast ,and on your PC or tablet,then you can instant play any film no down loading needed

• Larry March 15, 2015, 4:32 am

This may sound crazy but I am a novice. How do i delete videos from real cloud off Roku . I sign on my pc and many of the videos and movies are not on real player cloud on my computer but show up on Roku but I can not delete them off after viewing them.

• imam March 26, 2015, 7:28 pm

The good player

• scarlettjohans April 2, 2015, 12:41 pm

Great article. For those who live outside US like me, you can access Netflix, Hulu and similar media stations on your Roku by using UnoTelly or similar tools.

• MikeDrinkwater April 27, 2015, 2:05 pm

I have a ROKU stick 4500EU but when I look up the specifications on ROKU they tell me it is a 3500R. However, When I try to stream a movie from Windows 7 Premium to my television the movie p)lays for about 2 minutes ande then says “reloading” and coninues like that. The same thing happens with Plex. Roku WIFI signal strength is good. What can Ido now?

• Gemma May 4, 2015, 1:45 am

I was trying to stream a couple movies from my pc to my roku box with the app (I’ve done this numerous times, no problems) but tonight it would start the movie at the beginning and play the music just fine but the first shot wouldnt change, the picture was frozen but the sound kept going. I would fast forward and it would do the same thing where ever I would start it from. :( Any ideas?

• PETER and IZA GALLAGHER May 4, 2015, 6:49 am

hi i want to connect my smart TV panasonic and my nowtv roku to real player and i dont know where to get the code to connect,

where i can get this code with Nowtv box and my panasonic vieira?